Saturday, July 31, 2010

Walking

Here's a few shots of different places I go walking.   If I look cool and collected it is only because I have my shorts and top stuffed with frozen cooler packs!! The pictures are not as good as I would like. I took them with my camcorder that has a photo option. Very handy, but also very inconsistent as to the quality of the shots.

The top picture is a tree that I thought looked interesting.Located at  Dundurn Castle, where you can see they are doing repairs on the stone entrance.

The next two photos were taken on the Sassafras Trail, which was closed for two years to restore it to it's natural state . Often the woodlands are over run by non native plants, most of which are weeds. The Royal Botanical Gardens does controlled burns to eliminate the bad plants and restore the good ones. They did a good job here.

Of course I had to throw in a view of the ugly side of Hamilton Harbour, where the steel plant is located. Steel is no longer the major employer in Hamilton.  Like other cities, the service sector, which pays minimum wages, is now the major employer. The steel  plants have been taken over by multi national corporations. What else is new? Soon there will be nothing left that is Canadian owned and operated .  Do we really think we can sustain ourselves with the majority earning low wages? Half the population of Hamilton only survives thanks to government handouts of one kind or another. The other half are government workers like me. Surely that can't last. I don't know, but I don't thik we should brag that a donut chain is the fourth largest employer in the city.

Last is a view of the Chedoake public golf course. The paved trail runs right through it, which means you have to be on the look out for stray golf shots!!  



3 comments:

Jodi said...

Looks like a nice area to take a walk!
Jodi
jodibeansblog.blogspot.com

Diane J Standiford said...

Very nice. Yes, sad so much poverty in a world with so much richness. PS--You lookin' FINE.

Taxingwoman said...

Thanks for the compliments !