Sunday, April 17, 2011

O: Office

O: Office
Cold  rainy, and windy out this weekend. Haven't been out at all . My legs are really sore and stiff. Don't know why.

Decided to continue talking about The Office, no, not the show, but the place I work, although sadly that show is very much like it.  

I wish I could say that I like my job. Well I like the work just don't like the people and the place anymore.  I have a very good paying job with excellent benefits. Don't get me wrong; I'm grateful for it, but the last few years have been a real strain. In the past I was able to ignore the busy bodies, gossipers, and tattle tales, but lately they really have been getting to me. No matter how hard I try, there's always somebody in my face ! I expect it from management.They have to justify their existence and they don't treat me any different than most people (like crap).  What I don't get is coworkers who are determined to make life miserable for everybody around them.

Not sure if social media or things like reality shows have anything to do with it;  but it seems that a large percentage of the population really enjoys being in other people's pockets, all the time. They also seem to think that constant wise cracks and meanspirtedness is funny. It isn't. To para phrase Ellen Degeneres "if you are just kidding how come both of us aren't laughing"   Also think it has to do with my being sick and that I'm not on my game anymore. It's easier for people to get me because my defenses are weak.

If you work in an office you know what I mean. I won't go into details about the different office types mentioned above. What gets me is that most of us there are in the same boat. We earn roughly the same money, give or take a few thousand. We have similar lifestyles.  In so many ways we are the same.  So where's the solidarity? There isn't any. It's like working with a pack of sharks. 

So you will say that I'm ungrateful. That other people have crummy minimum wage jobs and get treated like garbage. That so many good paying jobs have been moved to other countries.  I should give up this job. Well I would love to and my plan is to retire next year. I'm not ungrateful I'm just tired of all the unnecessary negative attitudes. It only makes things worse.

On a lighter note Here's a funny article about women and aging.  I'm in the age group mentioned  and it's good to know others are going through the same crazy stuff..

1 comment:

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Yes you do describe most offices, but glad you get paid a good amount for it. Sorry you do not feel good, yes I believe MS does affect our patience???