Saturday, April 24, 2010

Going Greener

Cool and overcast today. It was all I could do to psyche myself to go out.

On my way to do a few errands I passed the Hill Street Community Garden.  For a small fee you can sign up for a garden plot to use for the summer. I was jealous of the people there getting them ready to plant. I really wish I could have one.  I use to years ago when  I lived  in Toronto and it was so nice to grow my own vegetables. Nothing is tastier than a home grown tomato. I even grew corn one year and it was delicious.
I tried  cantalopes and they were sucessful, but I never got to eat one. The raccoons beat me to them. 

Ah well, no point in me  even trying to have a garden plot,  because I know I simply don't have the strength to do it anymore. I 'll stick to having  just a few tomato plants in pots in my yard and an herb garden. Herbs are very low maintenance and do well in containers.  Fresh chopped parsley and chives on a baked potato Yum!!

I had to pop into the local  super market. They have good maple syrup at this one and since it is the season,  I thought I would treat myself.  Looking forward to crepes with warm maple syrup tomorrow morning.

While browsing around I saw a "green cart", a small bag on wheels to pack your groceries in. I gave it a test run and then decided to buy it. It really is very good. Not like those annoying bundle buggies that always tip over and are hard to steer.  Easy to open and close, with a good set of wheels.  I bought several items and it was a breeze to cart them home. I guess my only complaint would be that the handle should be longer, but I think I can adjust it. Have to take a closer look at the thing tomorrow  to see if I can.

I also bought more cold packs to help control my crazy heat waves.   They had a package of them that came in long strips that you can cut to whatever length you want.  I kept them long and now I just drap one around my neck to cool off. It works great!

Otherwise I haven't done much. I felt really tired and weak today.  I hope I can rally tomorrow and get out to do at least a bit of gardening.

2 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

Cold packs in strips? BRILLANT!

Herrad said...

Hi Carole,
It has been awhile since I visited many blogs.
Decided to do a quick visit to say hello to as many blogs as possible tonight..
Nice to visit your blog its been ages, I am sure it will not be so long again especially now my life is getting better.
I went out this afternoon for the first time since 19 August 2009 and it was brilliant.
Lovely to feel my world getting bigger again after all this time in bed.
Have a good evening and a pleasant day tomorrow.
Love,
Herrad
PS
Please visit Steve @ The Wheel Of Fortuna

http://spinfortunaswheel.blogspot.com/

Important we support him in the first weeks of his bereavement.