Sunday, February 17, 2008

A few cooking tips

Have to make it short tonight. I've been working on a website. Why I'm doing this when I can't even figure out how to do my blog properly, who knows.

Cooking tips: Don't bother to chop onions , garlic, parsley . The chopped frozen onions are very good as is the crushed garlic in the jar. You can buy packs of small frozen cubes of parsley too. Just pop them in what ever you're making. I can't tell any difference in the taste and I use to be a real fussy cook, always insisting on fresh Not anymore.

Frozen vegetables are as nutritious as fresh, partly due to new freezing methods and they are packed right from the field. Sure fresh is good but how far did that veg have to travel and how long has it been lying around ?

Like salad ? Buy the pre cleaned bagged lettuce . Get the kind that they make up at the store, not the national brands. That way you know it hasn't been handled too much. The bags of mini carrots are good too.

I know all this stuff costs more yet there is less waste. How many times I threw out a head of lettuce or carrots because I was too tired to prepare them and they went bad .

Buy a slow cooker. It's so easy to cook a pot roast or chicken. You don't have to do much. Just put it in the cooker , set it and a few hours later you have a nice main dish to go with the frozen veg and salad !

My mind has gone blank so I'll have to finish this tomorrow.

No comments: