Friday, April 4, 2008

Date Rape Drug for Fybro !?

Tonight I'm going to a concert. I'm filling in for someone who can't go because they are taking part in an experiment. Well not an official experiment, more like trying an unconventional treatment,
out of desperation.
This person has fibromyalgia , an illness that is to my understanding related to arthritis.
Pains all over the body, chronic fatigue, numbness, brain fog are some of the symptoms this person experiences.

The doctor thinks that one cause of this illness is a lack of deep sleep, so for an entire year the person will take a drug that is one of the date rape drugs. I don't know which one.
They have to take the drug, go to bed at 10:00 pm, then get up at 2:00 am to take another dose. Supposedly this will knock them out enough to give their body a chance to heal. I'm sure there's more to it, I'm just para phrasing from a second hand account of what's going on.
If I could say who this person is it would be a little less confusing.

I really hope there is some benefit. I know that this same person has been on so many drugs that didn't work or are of limited benefit, at one point taking 9 different medications!
I feel like they are a guinea pig
Do the doctors know what they are doing or are they taking advantage of a very sick person ?

I don't know much about fybro. One of the serious problems with having it, is that many doctors don't believe that it is even a real illness.

I know that it is a miserable rotten deal what ever it is. .

1 comment:

Lisa Emrich said...

That's interesting that a potential treatment for fibromyalgia is a hypnotic sedative/muscle relaxant. And the thought that getting enough deep sleep would allow a person's body to heal itself and recoup a bit. Thanks for sharing this.