Sunday, April 6, 2008

Weekend Walks

A quick post here before I settle in to watch a show on History channel, Aftermath : A World Without Humans. I think the world could mange nicely without us.

First I'd like to mention that I wasn't trying to be clever when I referred to date rape drugs. The legal sedatives :GHB, Rohypnol, and Ketamine, are the most commonly used drugs for sexual assaults. The fact that someone told me that a person I know was using a date rape drug, really got my attention, so I'm simply relaying what I heard.

Managed to get a couple of decent walks in this weekend. Yesterday 2 hours around the harbour and I climbed 165 stairs ! I'm not saying it was a breeze. I had to stop a few times climbing up, and the last 20 minutes of walking were a killer . I was wiped out by the time I got home. . I treated myself to a couple of cookies and a nice pot of tea when I got back.

Now I'm certain I can do the MS walk next weekend.

Excerpt from a study published in PubMed Authors M. Olsson, J Levell, and S Soderburg.

"We conducted a qualitative inquiry in order to describe the meaning of women's experiences of living with multiple sclerosis (MS). Multiple sclerosis is a chronic autoimmune disease of the central nervous system. The majority of persons living with MS are women. Living with MS has been described as difficult because of the uncertainty of the illness. Ten women with MS were interviewed and the interviews were analyzed with a phenomenological hermeneutic interpretation. In this study, we suggest that the meaning of living with MS for women can be understood as trying to maintain power and living with an unrecognizable body. The bodies of women with MS serve as hindrances in everyday life. Bodily changes evident to others impose feelings of being met in a different way, which can be understood as an expression of a violated dignity. At the same time, the women with MS struggle to protect their dignity"

No comments: